Monday, January 19, 2015

Into the Woods...



My friends and I took the kids to see Into the Woods this past week. My 4 year old was begging to see it, and since she saw the advertisements on the Disney Jr., channel I brought her along. About half way through she was bored senseless and begging to go home. I had expected a lot from this cast and normally for me, Johnny Depp can do no wrong. His posters covered my walls as a kid, Cry Baby is my favorite movie, I just love the guy. However, his part in this was short and pretty molestery. Yes, I said molestery. Funny, in a "OMG did they really just say that?" kind of way, but a little disturbing all the same. This movie was not at all what I was expecting. I knew there was going to be some twists and turns from the classic Disney tales, but this was really odd. I don't want to give too much away, but for me certain plot twists didn't make much sense, like the demise of Meryl Streep's character. Also, the effects for the female giant were absolutely awful, it's like they blew the budget building the giant woods set and then couldn't manage to make her look remotely real.
I think the idea behind this movie was spectacular. The execution however leaves a lot to be desired. If you really must see it, I'd wait till it comes to On Demand or Netflix. Wish I had waited...

No comments:

Post a Comment