Wednesday, January 21, 2015

UPS Sure Post & USPS

Let me just start by saying that I love getting mail. I know, it's a little silly, but opening the mailbox every day makes me happy. I order lots of free samples and I do a lot of online shopping too, so getting packages is even more exciting. Now when I first moved into my house about 9 years ago my mail arrived at 3pm every day. It was so punctual you could almost set your watch to it. The mail man was friendly and he even carried dog biscuits instead of pepper spray. Since he retired we have had a string of mailmen and women, each more disappointing than the last. There was the guy who would scream cuss words into his blue tooth while talking to his friends during the entire route. We could hear him dropping F-bombs up and down the street. There was the guy who pepper sprayed my dog who was playing with us in the front yard and made no move to attack him. Those were just the most awful, now we seem to have a bunch of different people none of whom can read. I get the wrong mail at least 2-3 times each week. When ever I'm waiting on something important I'm on pins and needles until it gets here, because who knows where it could end up? There are days when I don't receive mail at all. This wouldn't be as big of a deal if the mail person didn't also fail to pick up my outgoing mail. Now the UPS man on the other hand has been on our route since my daughter was born. He remembers us, he remembers her. He's friendly and I like him. However, UPS has a service that many businesses seem to be subscribing to these days called UPS Sure Post. With Sure Post UPS gets your package to your general area and then it's transferred to the Post Office for delivery. Now if you read the first paragraph of this post, you know I have zero faith in the USPS to get my mail to me in a timely manner or in some cases at all. I ordered some makeup from Ulta last week. It was sent UPS Sure Post. Had it been shipped regular UPS it would have been here Monday. However with sure post it's now Wednesday and I don't know if it'll come yet. The last package I ordered from Ulta, when I checked the tracking online, the mailman had it marked delivered a good 8 hours before it was actually in my possession. When I called to inquire about the whereabouts of my package, the USPS customer service department told me that they often mark packages as delivered before their actual delivery to save time. What is the point of an online tracking system if it's not even accurate? Yeah, I thought it was pretty pointless too.

No comments:

Post a Comment