Thursday, September 24, 2015

Glitter Tile Wall

Another room on my small budget, DIY, home makeover list, is my bathroom. We only have the one, I'd seriously sell an organ for a second bath. Well maybe for a second bath and a basement. Organs seem pretty valuable....
But since that doesn't seem like a viable option, I'm stuck working with the one and only bathroom I have. The wall behind the toilet is white tile. Well, I'm not sure what the original color is, from what I saw behind the trim I think it's some sort of a burgundy / gray combo, but when I bought the house it had already been painted white. I've given it a couple more white coats in the last 10 years, the most recent being a couple weeks ago. I also pulled up the old, ugly linoleum and put down tile. Sticky tile, but still. It's a vast improvement and I did it all by myself. (Really REALLY proud of that one!)  I painted the walls a soft green, and replaced the shower curtain. I also used Mdoge Podge to attach some black and white damask paper to the plastic plates surrounding the light switch and electric plugs. It was a huge improvement all around but it needed something...more. 
And then it hit me. 
Glitter. 
The bathroom needed glitter. I decided to add some sparkle to that tile wall behind the toilet. So I picked up some Modge Podge. I have a decent supply, but for this I wanted something extra strong. I bought the kind that says it's indoor/outdoor and dishwasher safe. I figure if it can go outside and go through the dishwasher, it should be good enough to hold up some glitter in my bathroom. I might not have worried as much in any other room (I use Modge Podge a LOT) but the ventilation in my tiny bathroom isn't great so I wanted to make sure the steam didn't ruin my work. 
I picked up some extra fine white glitter. It gave the wall I really pretty opalescent sparkle. I started by cleaning the tile with bleach just to make sure it was extra clean so everything would stick. I mixed some Midge Podge and glitter in a small bowl and started painting. Originally, I used a foam brush but it wasn't working as well as I thought it would so I ended up using a regular paint brush. It took several coats but it's come out exactly the way I had hoped. I love it! Now the only thing left to do is look around for the next thing in the house I can glitter....




No comments:

Post a Comment