Monday, September 21, 2015

Kindergarten Homework

I feel like I need to preface this post by saying that my daughter happens to love homework. She actually instructed me to "Treat me like my brother. Tell me I can't play until my homework is finished." 
...
Last year at kindergarten round up, when we met with the teachers and had things explained to us (parents) we were told that the kids would receive optional homework. We were told that they were learning all day and while it was nice for them to do educational things at home as well, some kids just weren't up to it. That seems to make sense to me. I talk with the other mothers. I know some of their kids are burned out and tired at the end of the day. The transition from preschool 3 hours a day, 3 days a week to kindergarten 5 full days a week has been more difficult for some. 
So when the September homework packet and ready log came home I assumed it was the optional homework that had been discussed last Spring. My daughter did 3 pages in one sitting. The book report, we have yet to finish. Yes. Book report. 
Today, a newsletter came home informing us of the due date of the September homework packet.  Seeing as I thought it was optional, I was surprised at the due date with no mention of completion being a choice. Now don't get me wrong, my daughter is loving it. I don't mind one bit doing a book report with her, but I know some of my fellow parents are less than thrilled. 
This homework sitch is not the only thing that has changed from the parent meeting last year. We were told the kids could read or do something like play Legos alone during nap time, as long as they were quiet. It was explained as more of a rest and relaxation, quiet time than an actual nap time. They said that some kids still really need that nap, but for those that don't it's ok to just entertain themselves quietly. According to my daughter, that has not been the case. In fact, my daughter the little people pleaser that she is, actually pretends to sleep just so she is following the rules to a T. 
There are a few other minor details that have changed but these too are the biggies for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment