Saturday, May 10, 2014

Easy Peasy Pot Roast

I make my pot roast in a crockpot. I don't know if that's the way they're supposed to be made, but it's simple, easy and only takes a few minutes of prep time. I generally start it early in the morning, around 8-9am and let it cook all day on low until say about 6-6:30. However there are days when I just forget to start it that early. I've found that if I can get it in the crockpot by noon I can cook it on medium and it still comes out well. The vegetables I use can be changed up depending on your personal taste, so don't feel locked in there.

Ingredients: -one beef roast, I've found any cut will work, I just get what's on sale. -one Bullion cube and though it calls for a corresponding cup of water I only add about 3/4 of a cup -one can of Cream of Mushroom Soup -one packet of onion soup mix -one potato or a bunch of baby potatoes if you prefer -carrots, I use about 3/4 of a bag of baby carrots -mushrooms Now to start I plug in my crock pot an turn it to low (or medium if I'm getting a late start). I put my roast in first. Then I add 3/4 of a cup of water and a bullion cube. Next I add the can of cream of mushroom soup. I usually just kind of lump it on the sides of the roast in the water. Then I add the packet of onion soup mix.

Now I just put the lid on and let it cook for a few hours. Around 2pm, roughly 4-4.5 hours before I plan to eat is when I add the veggies. Basically I just dump in the carrots, again on the sides of the meat so that they are mostly in the liquid. I cut up the potato and also try to get it into the liquid surrounding the meat. Last I dump the mushrooms over top of everything and replace the lid. I find that though most recipes seem to call for putting the veggies in first, that they are too mushy if I cook them as long as I cook the meat. This may just be because I put in relatively small pieces though.
I boil noodles just before I'm ready to serve dinner and spoon the roast and veggies over them. This is a favorite here, it looks and tastes like you spent all day slaving over a hot stove! p.s. Please forgive the ingredients running together, I'm still getting the hang of html codes.

No comments:

Post a Comment